The original late gothic water fortress was built by the lords of Zerotin around 1520 and later was passed onto Ferdinand Hoffmann of Grünbüchl. In 1721, it was acquired by the Harrach family as an inheritance. Before the half of the 18th century the castle was expanded by an extensive baroque wing with a grand hall and numerous representative rooms. In the second half of the 19th century the castle becomes the main residence of the Moravian stem of the Harrach family, including an exceptional economist, philanthropist and a friend of Franz Ferdinand D´Este, count Franz Harrach. The building has been neglected for decades and the reconstruction is currently underway.